Choose a type of fabric/fiber you have not worked with before. If
you are used to working in cottons, use some velvet, silk, satin, lace,
leather, suede, corduroy, denim, painted fusibles, painted coffee filters,
dryer sheets…..you get the idea. The field is wide open
to choose any material/fabric that is new-to-you in order to give you
the opportunity to move a bit further from the center of your comfort
Sew Much Fun
16" x 15"
Tyvek, cheese cloth, little bells, fusible web
I painted the tyvek for the background
and the beads. The flowers
were made from scrunched up dyed cheese cloth. The leaves were painted
fusible web sprinkled with glitter.
Del Mar, California
Leaf on Foil
Holographic foil; velvet; chiffon; razzle dazzle bobbin work
Elizabeth A. Dawson
Albuquerque, New Mexico
34" x 34"
Variety of fabrics including sheers, doe-suade, cotton and polyester.
I enjoyed working with a variety of fabrics and textures, and bringing
out more texture with the different quilting designs
San Leandro, CA
13.5 x 9.5”
Painted Wonder Under, painted cheesecloth,
hand spun thread clippings, free motion machine quilting, beads
I painted cheesecloth with a couple shades of blue paint. I
used some puff paint quite by accident which had a nice effect. It
made the threads on the cloth appear thicker in those places after
I ironed it. I also painted some Wonder Under in shades of red, orange
and purple. I worked with no particular images in mind, only
did what the materials
seemed to need. I chose a hand dyed yellow base fabric and added torn
strips of the painted Wonder Under. I thought about waves washing up
on a shore as I placed torn cheese cloth on the surface in order to
create interesting organic looking shapes. A while ago I had spun some
of the clipped threads I had collected with a drop spindle. This project
seemed the perfect place to put it. I have since added beads to complete
quilt. This was completely different that what I usually do,
and very fun.
various organzas on commercial fabric
I cut out circles of various organzas,
stitched them down in large spirals by machine, then took a heat
gun to them to see what would happen.
With visions of stone walls and windows in my head, I spent hours
studying pictures of stone walls, buildings, and windows of all kinds.
Moss added itself to the mix just about the time this challenge came
out. Now I was checking out moss formations on stone walls. I decided
to let things come out in a small version, to see what happened. I
usually use cotton, so it was time to try silk! I decided some silk
scraps I had could resemble stones, and dyed some of the scraps a muddy,
mossy green color. I backed the silk pieces with Wonder Under, or Liquid
Thread, fusibles, and cut up the fabrics and fused them onto a batting
base to "build" the stone wall. The window is a piece of
shiny, opalescent, synthetic with pastel behind and on top of it. Shredded,
dyed silk batting and yarn scraps were trapped under a pale green tulle
that I backed with Wonder Under for moss. The vine is made of couched
yarns, the flowers from a cotton batik, and leaves were from a tiny
piece of green silk. A comment I received after posting to the blog
led me to add the brown yarn to give the gnarled look to the base of
the vine. This piece began my Stones and Walls Series of quilts.
Tobi K. Hoffman
17-1/2" x 22"
Thin gauzy fabric samples with metallic prints.
This was actually completed months after the original date, because
the fireworks, I discovered, needed black instead of silver behind
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 -
7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12